Thursday, May 11, 2006

Home Alone

Today's a milestone in my life. It's the first time in my life I'm spending the night alone. My parents are out of town and my Brother is out partying somewhere. I know for some others, they may have been spending their nights alone from a tender age. Well, eighteen is rather tender ain't it? I suppose my parents believe that i'm old enough and hence are assured enough to leave me home alone. (though for my dad, rather reluctantly.)

I thought little of it at first, but now at this time when i'm all alone, "Home Alone", the comedy flashes into my head. But then, how can i defeat a burgler if he enters my HDB flat? *fingers tremble* When my Brother left the house in the evening, a sinking feeling overcame my stomache and the song "Don't wanna wake up alone anymore~" plays in my head. Over-reacting? That was definately involuntery.

Now i suddenly understand why my friend would let a guy stay over at her place when the family is not around. They would stay up all night playing computer games with each other. It sure beats being all alone at home at night. As sleeping time comes, sheer desperation to find security in having someone around becomes overpowering. Or maybe just talking with someone on the phone to give an illusion of having someone within proximity offers scant comfort. Better than nothing.

I guess I'm still a baby. Very much shielded emotionally. So much so, that falling asleep without someone in the house, is a daunting task.

No comments: